In a perfect world, no one should judge you based on your appearance. Unfortunately, we don’t live in a perfect world. Making a good first impression is the gateway to creating more interest in who you are as a person. People like to pass off style as superficial but how you dress is nonverbal communication. What does your style say about you when you interact with people for the first time?
Few things surprise me as much meeting a woman who’s success is inconspicuous based on her attire. In no way do I want to discredit a woman because of how she dresses but I’m fully aware of the reality that if a woman is dressed less than a BOSS, she may be treated as such, at least upon first impression. I never want anyone to mistake her for anything other than what she is! I feel what you wear should exude who you are and what you do. So, today I wanted to give tips on how to “look successful”. (The good news is I’m not breaking the bank either!)
Shop my look:
I’d Rather You MIstake Me For The Boss
As the old saying goes sometimes you have to fake it until you make it. If you are just starting out in corporate America, have an important meeting, or giving a presentation you need to look like you’re in charge. This even applies to entrepreneurs. When you’re out and about you never know who you will run into. Looking successful can help turn a casual run-in into an impromptu meeting. This is just one more way of contributing to your environment because if you look accomplished you will, in turn, believe it. That will give you the confidence to actually be successful.
Boss on a Budget Essentials
You’re not the boss yet? If you want to look successful and not break the bank here are my top tips:
- Thrift- I know that is not what you want to hear but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gotten lucky shopping second hand. Just keep your eyes open and do not thrift when you’re in a rush. You can find a great blazer or even business accessories like briefcases/messenger bags perfect for toting around your laptop in at a great price
- A Power Suit- When you find one that fits you’ll understand why they call it a POWER suit. The power suit is huge for spring. An affordable power suit isn’t impossible to find. The one I’m wearing is from TARGET (Available up to a 3X)!! Now is not the time to look stuffy. Just think of your suit as a coordinating set. Don’t be afraid to mix it up and wear a fun print under your blazer. Get the best cost per wear and split up your suit jacket and pants by restyling them with other items in your wardrobe.
- Nude Pumps- They go with everything… black, blue and brown!! You name it, they work!
- Go monochromatic for the win- If you’re in an ultra-professional atmosphere you will want to stay in a basic color (black, white, navy, gray, olive). If you work in a creative atmosphere you can venture out to more colorful pastures. Wearing a head to toe color looks extremely expensive and chic. Bonus is it also makes you look taller if you’re petite! Nothing says boss like expensive. Looking like money will attract money that’s. That’s universal law. Ok, I made that up but it sounds good!
- Alterations- If you are lazy like me waiting for alterations feels daunting but just remember nothing ruins a look faster than an ill-fitting garment. Tailored clothes gives a polished look that says rich. Waiting a few days to get the perfect fit it will set you apart in a room full of ready to wear suits off the rack.
It’s More Than Just a Look
If you have the goods it’s imperative to have a look of authority because it’s a natural instinct to believe what your eyes are seeing. You can apply these tips to fit your work atmosphere. Walking into a room and looking like a success sets the tone and everyone knows how to address you from the start. Good luck boss lady!
To schedule, a personal shopping appointment or a virtual styling session click here. For more Oh Wize One be sure to subscribe. You can also follow me on Facebook Oh Wize One, Instagram@ohwizeone, twitter@ohwize1. Remember to share the wisdom with friends!!