I know you may be wondering what is a personal uniform?
A personal uniform is a go-to look. In school the thought of wearing a uniform made me cringe. As an adult, I can see how knowing exactly what you are going to wear makes your life so much easier. I wanted to embrace the concept of having a uniform but I thought my style was way too eclectic to stick with one look all the time.
My Go-To Outfit
As I was storing my summer dresses and replacing them with winter sweaters it dawned on me, “duh, crazy woman clearly you have a go-to”. I have at least five shirt dresses in a variety of cuts (a-line, straight, shark bite hem) and colors.
I am partial to dresses and every example of a personal uniform style always consisted of slacks and a blazer. Blazers are great but they can be tricky because often times a jacket needs to be altered. It’s rare to find a blazer off the rack that is the perfect fit.
A Uniform Compliments Your Body Shape
I know for a fact a shirt dress works on my tulip shape (heavier through your upper body, round stomach, slim hips). I know as plus size women we get tired of hearing that a-line dresses flatter our figure but this shape works for my body type. An a-line dress offers balance since I am larger on the top and considerably smaller on the bottom.
Tulip Shape (heavier through your upper body, round stomach, slim hips)
Think of a Uniform as a Basic.. You Can Still Experiment
- You should still be open to trying new looks and different shapes.
- A personal uniform is perfect for the woman who isn’t into getting dressed
- Create a variety of uniforms. One for day, one for night and a wild card that can be in a print or fun fabric
- Remember that accessories will change the look of your uniform for more versatility
- Your uniform look will be pieces that you plan to wear regularly so invest in quality pieces.
- For your personal uniform choose what works best for your body type. Based on what you feel most confident wearing.
- Styling a personal uniform for yourself makes getting dressed in a rush so much easier.
I have shirt dresses in styles that work for day and night so I always have a uniform ready whenever I get a last minute invitation. I love this dress from Eloquii because it’s quirky and it’s lined!! The fabric is amazing and I can add layers as the temperatures drop.
PS. this dress comes in multiple prints which is perfect to help me build an arsenal of shirt dresses!!
What is your go-to look? Do you think it works on your body type?
For more Oh Wize One be sure to subscribe by clicking the follow button. You can also follow me on Facebook Oh Wize One, Instagram@ohwizeone, twitter@ohwize1. Remember to share the wisdom with friends!!
Photo Credit: Priyanka Berry Photography